The Advisory Panel for Canada’s Fundamental Science Review officially submitted its final report to the Government of Canada on April 10th, 2017.
The report entitled INVESTING IN CANADA’S FUTURE: Strengthening the Foundations of Canadian Research provides a comprehensive list of evidence-based recommendations to strengthen the foundations of independent research in Canada in the years to come.
Highlights of the Panel’s major recommendations include:
- The creation of a new, independent National Advisory Council on Research and Innovation (NACRI) to “provide broad oversight of the federal
research and innovation ecosystems”, including conducting evaluations of federal funding programs.
- The appointment of a coordinating board for the four major federal research funding agencies (CFI, CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC) that would be chaired by Canada’s Chief Science Advisor.
- A major reinvestment in research funding over the next four years, that would raise annual spending by federal agencies from $3.5 billion to $4.8 billion by 2022.
To read more on this important document, please follow the links provided below:
- Full Report (English; 280 pages) / Rapport complet (Français; 316 pages)
- Executive Summary (English; 25 pages) / Sommaire (Français; 27 pages)
Postdocs are also encouraged to attend the “Researchers’ Response” symposia being held on May 31, 2017 (or later) across the country, which aim to provide support and direction in moving forward on the implementation of the recommendations in this report. Be sure to register asap for the events requiring that coming up at the end of May.
Here are links to websites & info for a few of these events:
Toronto, ON (May 31, 2017)
Edmonton, AB (May 31, 2017)
Montreal, QC (June 20, 2017)
Please send info about additional meetings/symposia on this topic to email@example.com if you want us to promote an event.