Mitacs Postdoc Internship (Ericsson; St. Laurent, QC) – Distributed Security Policies in vRAN
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Mitacs Program: Accelerate
Project Length: 2 years
Location: St. Laurent, QC
No. of Positions Available: 1
Language: English / Bilingual
Ericsson as a major international telecom operator, and one of the top ten R&D investors in Canada, is both cloud service provider and cloud user. As a cloud service provider, investing over a billion dollars in building a massive ICT R&D center in Quebec, it is very important for Ericsson to have contingency plans for Disaster Recovery in place. Ericsson has also demonstrated its corporate responsibility for energy efficient and green solutions based on a long history of research in energy consumption and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
Mobile access networks grasp the benefits of SDN and NFV to fulfil 5G promises. Radio Access Network (RAN) is switching to virtual infrastructure which is expected to push RAN into the Edge. Such move is designated as Virtual RAN (VRAN). While they are many expected benefits of such architecture it also requires security to be re-thought.
The Research Area will be devoted on the following themes:
- VRAN Security Policies management
- Security Policies enforcement based on Service Function Chaining
- Application in a container environmen
The candidate should be curious, ready to learn, and passionate in the following areas:
– Radio Access Network (RAN) Security
– Edge Computing
– SDN orchestration
– Service Function Chaining (SFC)
– container management and security
The candidate should also be autonomous to a certain degree, ready to deliver results as needed. It is understood that there will be a learning curve to align with Ericsson.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please:
|Eligibility Requirements:||PhD in a relevant field of study.
PhD Students are also welcome to apply.
|Expertise and Skills Needed:||• Preferably, good understanding of Radio Access Network (RAN) and Virtual RAN (VRAN).
• Preferably, good understanding of SDN, Service Function Chaining (SFC), YANG.
• Preferably, good understanding of Cloud, container (Docker, LXC) management and security.
• If possible, good understanding of Security threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations in RAN / VRAN environments.
|Research Objectives:||• Threat detection / mitigation in a VRAN environement.
• Defining / managing Security Policies
• Leveraging containers and SFC to enforcing Security policies
|Methodology:||1. State of the art in vRAN threat mitigation
2. Proposal of new security functions adapted to vRAN particularities
3. Formal deployment of security policies in vRAN