PDF – Mitacs Accelerate Internship Opportunity (AB-038)
Preferred Disciplines: Chemical and/or environmental engineering (Post-Doc)
Project length: 1 year (3 units)
Desired start date: September 2018
Location: Calgary, AB. Some interaction in Ottawa, ON. Slight possibility for interaction internationally: Norway, Japan, U.S.
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Preference is to work under supervision of Dr. Nader Mahinpey at University of Calgary
Company: Industrial Climate Solutions Inc.
Industrial Climate Solutions Inc. (ICSI) is a Canadian company whose roots run deep in industrial and commercial innovation. The company develops and commercializes industrial breakthrough process equipment and technologies to address greenhouse gas emissions. Transformative technologies have many applications in areas outside of the climate file, so we work with partners to develop these ‘non-core’ applications and markets.
The company has developed an absorber with >4x improvement in mass transfer per unit volume (size reduction), high tolerance for entrained or precipitating solids, tolerance of foaming and extreme liquid:gas ratios. The project involves proving the integration of a proprietary gas/liquid contactor (absorber) with a number of different solvents for different applications. Projects include:
- A precipitating solvent for CO2 capture. The first stage of the work proved the concept on a small bench scale, we are currently at the mid-point of the second phase of the work.
- Highly likely collaboration with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) staff and testing at a pilot facility in Ottawa. This will involve modification of the existing pilot unit and designing one or more test columns for testing at the site. This will result in a series of tests with:
- Prioprietary solvents supplied by international clients; and
- Unconventional solvents such as ammonia
There are also other small-scale pilot projects in the company’s pipeline that will require the design and fabrication of customized columns for clients domestically and internationally. At the same time, we are developing manufacturing equipment, so there is a pool of projects to gain experience on. CCS experience is ‘nice to have’, though familiarity with chemical reaction kinetics and thermodynamics is sufficient. Familiarity with industrial process equipment, and practical hands-on experience working with plant equipment, instrumentation or machinery is highly valued.
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
|Research Objectives:||• To successfully demonstrate scale up of the gas/liquid contactor. Typically fouling occurs if precipitation is conducted in conventional contactors. It is the only gas/liquid contactor that operates in a zone where precipitation occurs in the contactor itself.
• To develop the absorption columns, testing program, associated mechanical instruments, and overall integration of these elements
• Validate performance under extreme conditions including entrained solids, foaming and extreme liquid:gas ratios
|Methodology:||To be determined|
|Expertise and Skills Needed:||• Industrial and chemical process engineering
• Familiarity with absorption and desorption processes
• Expertise with CO2 processing, chemical/reaction kinetics, gas-to-liquid contacting
• Practical experience is highly valued
• How do we solve… or
• What’s a simpler way of doing that
• Problem solving in other context including hobbiues or work (Fix cars? Bikes? Crafts? Construction? Trades? Plumbing? HVAC? …)
• Mechanical design and drafting experience (an asset)