Postdocs in Border Studies (University of Victoria)
Start Date: May 1, 2018
POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP IN BORDER STUDIES:
BORDERS IN GLOBALIZATION RESEARCH PROGRAM, UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA
PROJECT SUMMARY: Borders in Globalization is a network of academic partners in Border Studies from Canada, the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East which is engaged with non-academic partners involved in the management of borders and borderlands in Canada and worldwide. The goal is to build excellence in the knowledge and understanding of borders. The University of Victoria hosts BIG. See: www.biglobalization.org.
POSITION SUMMARY: The University of Victoria invites applications for two Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Border Studies at the School of Administration and the Center for Global Studies under the supervision of Prof. Emmanuel Brunet-Jailly. These fellowships provide individuals the opportunity to be integrated into an international network of scholars. Job responsibilities focus around publications (book series, special journal issues, etc.) for the research program and include: reviewing, editing and contributing to publications of research prepared by the worldwide members of the BIG research program. Other duties may include: teaching online courses; and organizing conferences, workshops, seminars and summer schools. The PDF is also expected to present his/her research twice
yearly, and to publish at least one original research paper under the aegis of BIG.
TO APPLY: PLEASE FORWARD THE FOLLOWING TO BORDERS@UVIC.CA:
• A complete curriculum vitae
• Statement of research interests, related experience and future goals
• E-mail contact details for three referees
• 2-3 research publications that best demonstrate your fit for the position
Further information about the University of Victoria, the School of Public Administration, and the Center for Global Studies is available on their websites.
Review of applications will begin January 15, 2018, and will continue until the positions are filled.
|REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:||• PhD in Social Sciences or Humanities, with a dissertation written in English
• Familiarity with Border Studies, border literature, and / or related disciplines
• Experience editing or reviewing for publications
• Outstanding writing skills
• Effective oral and communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated research productivity (peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations)
• Ability to work autonomously and take a lead role on projects under supervision of principal investigators
|START DATE, LENGTH, STIPEND AND LOCATION:||• The position is full time for one year starting 01 May 2018
• We offer a three-month probationary salary of $33,000 taxable per annum. Following successful completion of the probationary period, the salary increases to $42,000 taxable per annum.
• The successful candidate will be working at University of Victoria, Centre for Global Studies. Some travel may be required.
• The candidate will be employed by the Borders in Globalization research program (Dr. Emmanuel Brunet-Jailly) through external grant funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada and the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.