PDF in Epidemiology & Big Data Research
Job Type: Contract
Salary: Commensurate with experience ($45,000 – $60,000 CAD per year)
Unit: Cardiocore Big Data Research Unit
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) is Canada’s largest and foremost cardiovascular health centre dedicated to understanding, treating and preventing heart disease. The Cardiocore Big Data Research Unit is a hub of Cardiovascular Epidemiology and big data research, offering centralized access to high volume, comprehensive procedure, imaging and long-term outcomes data in patients undergoing cardiac surgery and percutaneous cardiac procedures including valves, coronary revascularization and arrhythmia ablation at the UOHI. There will also be an opportunity to work with population-based administrative data through the PI’s faculty appointment at ICES. The research team specializes in cutting edge approaches to cardiovascular epidemiology, focusing on heart failure, sex and ethnic disparities, and patient-centered medical and surgical decision-making.
This fellowship offers the opportunity to gain and contribute knowledge to the area of cardiovascular epidemiology and novel predictive approaches. It is ideally suited to an early-career clinical epidemiologist/biostatistician who wishes to pursue a career path as a scientist or clinician-scientist.
Post-doctoral Fellowship in Epidemiology & Big Data Research
Current research projects include:
- Sex and ethnic differences in heart failure care and outcomes in Ontario
- Sex differences in long-term outcomes after major cardiac surgery
- Patient-reported outcomes in cardiovascular disease
- Novel risk stratification methods, integrating traditional statistical modeling, proteomics, and machine learning
- Identifying optimal blood pressure targets for prevention of major complications and death after cardiac surgery
It is expected that the successful candidate will assume responsibility for the preparation and publication of manuscripts as well as assist in the submission of research grant applications. There will be opportunities to collaborate with highly respected clinicians and scientists at the UOHI, the greater uOttawa and ICES community, and internationally.
The position is a one-year fellowship that may be renewed contingent on funding. The stipend is commensurate with experience (range $45,000 – $60,000 CAD per year), and includes 3 weeks paid holidays and paid statutory holidays.
The successful candidate will possess:
• An M.D. and/or a Ph.D. in clinical epidemiology, biostatistics or equivalent
• Previous research experience within a team environment
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• A strong understanding of clinical research design and advanced statistical methods
• Excellent analytic skills; fluency in SAS, R, and/or STATA
• Working knowledge of programming logic and languages an asset
• Evidence of experience in preparation and publication of manuscripts
• Strong technical writing skills
• Ability to take guided initiative and to work in an organized fashion within a fast-paced environment, including flexibility in shifting between independent and collaborative work
• Demonstrated collegiality, professionalism and interpersonal skills
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three referees to Dr. Louise Sun. Application deadline: June 20, 2019. Start date is negotiable.
Accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process relating to any specialty requirements. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.
The successful candidate will be required, prior to the start of employment, to complete mandatory organizational training available online, provide a satisfactory criminal record check and provide an official piece of photo identification.
For further information, please contact Dr. Louise Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply by June 20, 2019